Below are the first bones I installed with crystals, they werent exactly what I invisioned but were a stepping stone to growing the crystals on to bones.
70x15mm 70x15mm 70x15mm
Initial experiments were sugar crystals. These proved to be messy and attracted unwanted pests. The crystal structure was delicate and weak, crystals and unable to hold clear colour. Discolouration occurred.
Salt crystals diameter=95mm
Salt crystals were also experimented with but proved to be also very delicate, unable to grow on objects and the structure, whist very interesting easily breakable.
Sugar Crystals 20x50mm 50x70mm
Above = Borax Crystals
Once borax was identified as a strong crystal, able to hold structure, able to grow on almost anything, and able to withstand environmental concerns. I also found it could grow on individual objects in a large container as long as each object were spaced so that they did not touch each other i.e in a large box image below. This realisation meant that I could make many crystals at one time. It also meant that I could experiment with the colour of the crystals grown. I chose to opt out of colouring my crystals as the natural object underneath the crystals are still able to be identified. The dyed objects had a craft like element that I didn’t like. My favourite crystals are quartz crystals which are clear and create balance and harmony which relates to the ideas I am trying to imbue within my works.